Les Baux-de-Provence is a charming town in the Provence region, and whose name refers to its location: in Provençal, a baou is a rocky spur. Les Baux-de-Provence has a fantastic position amidst the Alpilles mountains, and is considered to be one of the most beautiful villages in France.
The stunning location is set atop a rocky formation complete with a ruined vast fortress. Les Baux-de-Provence has a rich history: in the middle ages, Cardinal Richelieu ordered the demolition of the castle because the village housed protestant rebels. The village is also the site where the aluminium ore Bauxite which was first discovered in 1821 by geologist Pierre Berthier, and as such the ore bears its name.
Les Baux-de-Provence Tours and Activities
Should I book Les Baux-de-Provence tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Les Baux-de-Provence 2021?
What's the best way to experience Les Baux-de-Provence?
- Provence Best Of
- Provence Villages Small Group Day Tour including Arles from Aix en Provence
- Private Tour: Les Baux de Provence
- Provence at your own pace and at your leisure!
Things to do near Avignon
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Fréjus Saint-Raphaël
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in French Riviera