Kleine Scheidegg is a prime destination for hiking and skiing, and serves as a convenient home-base for mountain sports and scenic adventuring. You can book a room at one of the alpine reports, hike the nearby trails, or opt for a trek from Männlichen.
If you want the views but prefer not to hike, it's easy to pair a trip to Kleine Scheidegg with a train ride to Jungfraujoch. This ride on the Jungfrau railway is celebrated as one of the most scenic train journeys in all of Switzerland. You climb up the Eiger and Monch Mountains, and disembark at the highest train station in Europe. It's a great deal for Swiss Travel Pass holders.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Kleine Scheidegg rail station offers restrooms, lockers, and free Wi-Fi.
- Don't forget to look up—the views of the treacherous Eiger North Face are unbeatable.
- Hiking options are plentiful, but standout trails include the Eiger Trail, Jungfrau Eiger Walk, and the downhill Lauberhorn Trail.
How to Get There
The easiest way to get to Kleine Scheidegg is via train. From the Interlaken Ost train station, ride to either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, and transfer for Wengernalp Railway service to Kleine Scheidegg. If you prefer to leave the planning to the pros, tours are a great option. Many tours depart from Bern or Zurich, and typically include a stop to admire the views from Kleine Scheidegg.
When to Get There
For hiking, plan to visit Kleine Scheidegg between late-June and October, since many trails close at the start of winter. For skiing, snow shoeing, and winter hiking, arrive earlier in the season (late November) or at the end of the season (before Easter weekend) to enjoy the slopes without the crowds.
Journey to the Top of Europe After the train ride from Kleine Scheidegg, few mountain views compare to this spectacular vantage from Jungfraujoch. You can marvel at Mittelland on one side, and the Aletsch Glacier on the other. Often referred to as the Top of Europe, this destination is included on numerous small-group and private guided tours from Interlaken, Zurich, and Lucerne—the best option for reaching Jungfraujoch without planning an itinerary.
- Things to do in Neuchâtel
- Things to do in Interlaken
- Things to do in Lauterbrunnen
- Things to do in Grindelwald
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Crans-Montana
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Swiss Alps