From its medieval town center to its legendary culinary scene, Bologna is one of Italy’s most beloved cities. Explore the city by bike, join a local guide for a food-themed tour, or get outside the city to learn about the regional tradition of luxury cars on a racetrack during a visit.
National Gallery of Bologna (Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna)
36 Via di San Luca, Bologna, 40135
The core of the National Gallery’s collection of 13th- to 18th-century paintings is made up of artworks taken during the suppression of convents and religious guilds after the fall of the papal state, and others that were recovered after Napoleon looted churches and monasteries in Emilia-Romagna during his Italian campaigns. Today, Bologna’s National Gallery is among the city’s most important art collections, and often features in walking tours of the historic center, along with attractions like Piazza Maggiore, the Basilica of Saint Petronius, the Two Towers, and the church of Santo Stefano.
Things to Know Before You Go
A visit to the museum is a must for art enthusiasts.
Large bags, backpacks, and umbrellas must be left at baggage check at the entrance.
Photography without flash is allowed in the museum.
The National Gallery is wheelchair accessible via an elevator and ramps.
How to Get There
The National Gallery of Bologna is located on Via Belle Arti, about a 15-minute walk from Piazza Maggiore or the city’s train station.
When to Get There
Bologna is known for its wet winters and hot summers, so the quiet museum is a welcome respite from the elements in both winter and summer. The museum is closed on Mondays.
Masterpieces from Giotto to Reni
Highlights of the small but important National Gallery of Bologna include Raphael’s The Ecstasy of St. Cecilia, Perugino’s Madonna in Glory with Saints, and the Pala del Voto and Massacre of the Innocents by Guido Reni.
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Veneto
- Albergati Palace (Palazzo Albergati)
- Basilica of San Domenico (Basilica di San Domenico)
- Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio (Teatro Anatomico dell'Archiginnasio)
- Bologna Piazza Maggiore
- Fountain of Neptune (Fontana del Nettuno)
- San Petronio Basilica (Basilica di San Petronio)
- Prendiparte Tower (Torre Prendiparte)
- Two Towers (Due Torri)
- Basilica of Santo Stefano (Basilica di Santo Stefano)
- Oratory of Santa Cecilia (Oratorio Di Santa Cecilia)
- Bologna University Quarter
- Ducati Museum (Museo Ducati)
- Marconi Museum (Museo Marconi)
- Lamborghini Museum (Museo Lamborghini)
- Enzo Ferrari Museum (Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari)