Arcachon Bay (Bassin d'Arcachon)
Just an hour’s drive from Bordeaux, Arcachon Bay is perfect for day-trippers looking to climb the famous Pyla Sand Dune (Dune du Pyla) and gastronomes eager to sample delicious fresh oysters. You can gaze out across the Atlantic on a half-day tour from the city (perhaps combined with a wine tasting tour of Bordeaux), but to fully experience the bay, opt to spend a couple of days here. Stay overnight at the resort town of Arcachon or journey along the peninsula to Cap Ferret, taking plenty of beach breaks along the way.
Things to Know Before You Go
The best swimming beaches are those facing the Arcachon Bay, which are known for their calmer waters.
The big waves of the Atlantic Coast beaches are great for surfing.
Most towns around the Arcachon Bay follow standard French opening hours. Expect shops to be closed from noon to 2pm and restaurants to be open from noon to 2.30pm for lunch, and from 7pm to 10pm for dinner.
How to Get There
Arcachon Bay is located along the southwest coast of France in the region of Aquitaine and Gironde, about 40 miles (65 kilometers) southwest of Bordeaux. The closest international airport is the Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport, and regular buses and trains run between Bordeaux and the town of Arcachon. Getting around the peninsula is best done by car, but ferries also connect the resorts of Arcachon, Cap Ferret, Moulleau, Andernos, and Le Canon.
When to Get There
The most popular time to visit the Arcachon Bay is in summer, but resorts can book up quickly during July and August. To escape the crowds but still enjoy the sunshine, visit during shoulder season (May to June or Sept to Oct), when prices for hotels and tours tend to be low.. Visiting in winter can be a bargain, but be aware that many hotels, restaurants, and tourist facilities are closed in the low season.
Arcachon Bay’s Outdoor Activities
Along with swimming and water sports, adventurous travelers can hike and bike in the Landes forest, set sail for a fishing cruise around Lac de Cazaux, take a horseback ride along the beach, or tee off at one of the Arcachon Bay’s three golf courses. Bird watchers can also visit the Teich Bird Reserve or cruise out to the L'île aux Oiseaux (Bird Island).
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Pyla Dune (Dune du Pilat)
- Chartreuse Cemetery (Cimetiere de la Chartreuse)
- Saint-Seurin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Seurin)
- Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux)
- Place Gambetta
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Palais Gallien
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Museum of Aquitaine (Musée d'Aquitaine)
- Grosse Cloche
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Grand Theatre
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Basilica of St. Michael (Basilique St. Michel)