Old St. John Site (Site Oud Sint-Jan)
On the site of a medieval hospital and one of Europe's first infirmaries, the present building at Site Oud Sint-Jan dates from the 19th century and was originally used as a hospital. Along with the permanent Picasso collection, the site features temporary exhibits, ranging from an Andy Warhol expo toMummies, Secrets of Ancient Egypt. Many temporary exhibits are extremely popular, especially when they first open, so prebook entry tickets to guarantee admission.
Things to Know Before You Go
Site Oud Sint-Jan is a must-visit for Picasso fans.
Ticket counters shut an hour before the site closes.
The Picasso exhibition is partially wheelchair-accessible, bit it's wise to call ahead to arrange for a way to get up the stairs at the main entrance.
How to Get There
Site Oud Sint-Jan is situated in the heart of Bruges, about a 12-minute walk from the railway station and 10 minutes from the Markt and Burg squares in the historic old town. There are two entrances to the site: one at Mariastraat 38 and one via the Zonnekemeers parking lot, where parking is available for a fee.
When to Get There
Unless you're attending a private event, you'll probably be coming to Site Oud Sint-Jan to check out the Expo Picasso exhibit or one of the special exhibits held on the property. Public access is daily from midmorning to evening, except on Christmas and New Year's Day. Crowds tend to be smaller on weekdays, except when school groups are visiting.
The Picasso exhibition features more than 300 graphic works spanning four decades, and the center is home to one of Europe's largest collections of engravings and lithographs by the Spanish artist. Noteworthy pieces include depictions of Ovid'sMetamorphoses and an erotic series calledLe Goût du Bonheur (The Taste of Happiness).
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South Holland
- Sint-Janshospitaal (Saint John's Hospital)
- Church of Our Lady (Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk)
- De Halve Maan Brewery
- Diamond Museum (Diamantmuseum)
- Canals of Bruges (Brugse Reien)
- Princely Beguinage Ten Wijngaarde (Begijnhof)
- Minnewater (Lake of Love)
- Belfry of Bruges (Belfort van Brugge)
- Bruges City Hall (Stadhuis van Brugge)
- Bruges Beer Museum (Brugs Biermuseum)
- Historic Centre of Bruges (Historisch Centrum van Brugge)
- Burg Square
- Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig-Bloedbasiliek)
- Historium Brugge