White Grotto (Grotta Bianca)
One of several scenic grottoes along Capri’s coast, the White Grotto has an upper and lower cave, although the upper is not easily accessible. The lower cave is about 24 feet (seven meters) at its tallest and is wider above the water than it is at the surface, and, though boats can’t enter the cave itself, they can moor just outside to allow passengers to swim inside. A stop to visit the White Grotto is included in most boat tours around the island of Capri departing from Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, or Naples. Boat tours or day cruises to the island generally also include stops at the Blue Grotto, Green Grotto, and Faraglioni sea stacks to swim and snap photos.
Things to know before you go
- If taking a boat tour around Capri, be sure to wear a hat and sunscreen. If your tour includes a stop to swim, bring a swimsuit and towel.
- Some boat tours are not accessible to wheelchair users, so confirm in advance.
- The White Grotto is only accessible via boat; the Blue Grotto is also accessible by land.
- Kids especially enjoy boat tours that include a stop to swim inside the sea cave.
- One of the stalactites on the roof of the cave is said to resemble the Virgin Mary in prayer, so see if you can spot it!
How to get there
The White Grotto can only be visited via private or group boat tour, as there is no access via land.
When to get there
If you would like to take a dip in the grotto, visit during the hottest hours at midday so the water is comfortably warm. On days with high winds and rough seas, it may be impossible to swim into the grotto.
Highlights along Capri’s Picturesque Coast
Capri has one of the most beautiful coastlines of all of Italy’s islands, dotted with sea caves, hidden coves, and pretty harbors. In addition to the Blue Grotto, White Grotto, and Green Grotto, you can see the soaring Faraglioni sea stacks, the Punta Carena lighthouse, Marina Piccola, and the Scugnizzo statue.
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Bari
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia