Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum
A veritable ode to a bygone era, the Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum helps visitors step back into time and immerge themselves in the nautical and maritime heritage of what once was the richest city in the United States of America. Unusually so—Key Westers became extraordinarily wealthy by savaging treasures and luxury goods in the numerous and frequent wreckages, a questionable habit that provided for the livelihoods of the early pioneers on the island. Wrecking masters would then control the salvage operation and later on auction off their finds in wrecking courts, with each good being awarded a profit depending on how long or dangerous the salvage operation had been.
Actors, films and artifacts tell the story of the treacherous Florida Keys reef and the many wrecks it caused, including the infamous 1838 Isaac Allerton vessel. The ship was 137 feet long and weighed 594 tons and served as merchant ship in and around the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean for almost 20 years, before it was caught in a hurricane off Saddlebunch Keys in 1856. Visitors are invited to discover the perils of shipwrecking and to climb the 65-foot lookout tower—where they can alert the authorities in case of a wreck and watch out for Spanish galleons!
What are Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum hours of operation?
Should I book Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum 2021?
What's the best way to experience Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum?
- Southernmost Key West History and Culture Small-Group Walking Tour
- Go Miami Explorer Pass: Choose 2, 3, 4 or 5 Attractions
- Key West Conch Tour Train
- Key West Ghost and Gravestone Trolley Tour
Things to do near Key West
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island