Annah Rais Tours and Activities
Situated 62 miles (100 kilometers) south of Kuching, Annah Rais is a Bidayuh longhouse settlement in the foothills of the Borneo Highlands. While the 500 or so residents of Annah Rais make a living from tourism and the settlement has long been on the tourist map, they’ve done well to preserve the traditional longhouse architecture, and visitors get a sense of what life in such communal settlements is like.
Annah Rais comprises three separate longhouses, Kupo Terekan, Kupo Saba and Kupo Sijo, which travelers can visit solo or with a guide. Each longhouse has a covered bamboo verandah, called an awah, used for communal activities. Doorways spaced along the longhouse lead to each family’s private quarters.
While some visit Annah Rais just for the day, some of the residents open their homes to visitors as part of a cultural homestay program. Visitors are paired with a local family who provide a traditional dinner and breakfast in addition to the enriching cultural exchange.
Tours and Activities to Experience Annah Rais
Frequently Asked Questions
- Traditional Bidayuh Village Bamboo Longhouse Tour from Kuching
- Kuching City Tour & Annah Rais Longhouse
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Bali