Altos de Chavón
Altos de Chavón offers a great introduction to the culture and history of the Dominican Republic. City tours of La Romana typically include a stop here, along with Casa de Campo and a local cigar factory. It’s also possible to visit the town on half-day trips from Punta Cana, day trips that stop at Saona Island or Catalina Island, and cruises on the Chavón River.
Recent reviews from experiences in La Romana
Things to know before you go
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat, as the village has limited shade.
- Be sure to wear sturdy shoes, as the village is full of cobbled sidewalks and streets.
- Visitors are required to show a valid passport.
- The village is free for guests of Casa de Campo; non-guests are required to pay an entrance fee.
How to get there
The easiest way to get to Altos de Chavón is to drive to Casa de Campo Resort or to join a tour that includes round-trip transport. The resort is a 50-minute drive from Punta Cana International Airport and a 5-minute drive from its own La Romana International Airport.
When to get there
Each business at Altos de Chavón maintains their own hours, typically from mid-morning to late evening. St. Stanislaus Church hosts mass on Saturday and Sunday evenings, as well as on the first Friday of every month. The village is particularly romantic at night, when the stone plazas and verandas are illuminated in golden light.
Attractions near La Romana
Casa de Campo Resort isn’t the only place worth visiting in the area near La Romana. Spend some time exploring the fishing town of Bayahíbe, known for its distinct Dominican vibe and beachfront bars. For a break from the beach, try the Bayahíbe Rose Garden or Casa Ponce de León, the former home of the 16th-century Spanish explorer. Outdoors enthusiasts can hike the Padre Nuestro Ecological Trail.
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Oranjestad
- Things to do in Kralendijk
- Things to do in St John's
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Minitas Beach (Playa Minitas)
- Altos de Chavon Regional Museum of Archaeology
- Chavón River (Río Chavón)
- Tabacalera de Garcia Cigar Factory
- Caleta Beach (Playa Caleta)
- Catalina Island (Isla Catalina)
- Boca de Yuma
- La Flor Dominicana Cigar Factory
- Saona Island (Isla Saona)
- National Park of the East (Parque Nacional del Este)
- Cueva de las Maravillas