Known as “the world’s most famous tavern,” Hofbrauhaus is an enormous 16th-century building and the birthplace of the multinational Hofbrauhaus beer company. Visitors can choose from a variety of seating areas, including the historical Schwemme, where the beer was once brewed; the enormous festival hall, which was built by Duke Wilhelm V in 1589; and the outdoor beer garden.
Visit to immerse yourself in traditional Bavarian culture and try one of the brewery’s many beers along with pretzels and weiner schnitzel. Hofbrauhaus is a popular stop on Munich Old Town excursions and food and drink tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
You can make reservations for Hofbrauhaus’ restaurant but not for seats at the Schwemme or in the beer garden.
Some tables at Hofbrauhaus are reserved for groups of regulars, who keep their personal (often valuable) steins on site.
Hofbrauhaus hosts more than 500 musical events per year; check the schedule for performance details and times.
Hofbrauhaus is accessible for wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Hofbrauhaus is located in central Munich, at Platzl 8. To reach the site via public transportation, take the U3/U6 underground lines or the S-Bahn to Marienplatz. Driving is not recommended and many walking tours of Munich pass by Hofbrauhaus anyway.
When to Get There
Hofbrauhaus is open 365 days per year, from mid-morning until midnight, and is popular all year round. Munich is especially busy during Oktoberfest (which actually takes place from late September through early October), and crowds in the city can be rowdy.
For a fun souvenir—or just an excuse to return to Hofbrauhaus in the future—pick up some beer tokens before you leave. Each token is worth one beer and can be used indefinitely, even if the price of beer goes up in the future. The tokens are available from the staff and at the on-site shop.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Beer and Oktoberfest Museum
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)