Almost all Munich city tours visit Odeonsplatz—hop-on hop-off bus tours stop right on the square, while walking and biking tours pass through on route to the English Garden. Admire the 17th-century Theatinerkirche church; see the old Odeon theater, after which the square was named; and visit the Feldherrnhalle monument, the site of Hitler's 1923 Beer Hall Putsch. At the north end of the square, the Ludwigstrasse, a grand boulevard lined with monumental buildings, stretches north all the way to the Victory Gate (Siegestor). To the east, the Italian Renaissance-style gardens of the Hofgarten lead to the Residenz royal palace.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Odeonsplatz is a must for history buffs and first-time visitors to the city.
- There is a restaurant and public restrooms at north-eastern end of the square, by the entrance to the Hofgarten.
- The square is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Odeonsplatz is located in Munich Old Town and is easy to reach on foot from most of the central attractions. It’s an about 10-minute walk north of Marienplatz. The closest U-Bahn station is Odeonsplatz (Lines U3, U4, U5, and U6).
When to Get There
The Odeonsplatz is buzzing with activity at all hours of the day—get there early in the summer months if you want to avoid the crowds and pack a picnic to enjoy in the nearby English Garden.
Events and Festivals at the Odeonsplatz
With its vast open plaza, Odeonsplatz makes a popular destination for concerts, parades, and city celebrations. Most notable is the Odeonsplatz Classical Evening, a grand open-air event held each July and drawing crowds of over 16,000 to watch performances by the prestigious Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, and other world renowned classical acts. The square also hosts street parties during Munich’s Fasching carnival celebrations, the annual Long Night of Music in spring, and a Christmas tree market over the festive season.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- New Pinakothek (Neue Pinakothek)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Eisbach Wave (Eisbachwelle)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Old Pinakothek (Alte Pinakothek)
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)