Focusing on all forms of mechanical and electronic imagery (photography, cinema, video, online media, etc.) from the 20th and 21st centuries, this prestigious museum holds an ever-changing roster of dynamic photography exhibitions, film screenings, video installations, symposiums, and seminars. Enjoy the museum, then take a stroll in the regal garden.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Jeu de Paume is an ideal spot for photography lovers and cinephiles.
- Admission is about $9 - $12 depending on the exhibit.
- Jeu de Paume is wheelchair accessible.
- In the winter, be forewarned that the building is not heated.
- Garden aficionados will adore the La Librairie des Jardins, a famous bookstore under the Jeu de Paume terrace, dedicated to gardens and gardening, from practical how-to’s to high-minded tombs on garden poetry and philosophy.
How to Get There
Jeu de Paume is located in the Tuileries Garden next to Place de la Concorde in Paris’s 8th arrondissement. Take Métro line 1, 8, or 12 to Concorde and walk toward the northwest corner of the garden to find the museum.
When to Get There
Jeu de Paume is open everyday except Monday. On Tuesdays, the museum usually stays open until about 9pm. Beat the crowds by going during the week or on weekend mornings. Throughout the year, the museum hosts special exhibitions. Check their calendar before going.
More Than A Game of Tennis After exhausting its use as place for the nobility to bond over a game of “palm ball,” the building became a storage facility for thousands of artworks confiscated from museums and Jewish households during the Nazi occupation of France, 1940 - 1944. (The curator at the time was secretly a member of the Resistance and kept a list that allowed most artworks to be returned to their rightful owners.) After the war, it showcased an extensive collection of impressionist-era art, which was eventually transferred to Musée d’Orsay.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Place de la Concorde
- Obelisk of Luxor
- Ladurée Paris
- Musée de l'Orangerie
- Tuileries Garden (Jardin des Tuileries)
- La Madeleine
- Place Vendome
- Palais Bourbon
- Théatre Édouard VII
- Petit Palais
- Museum of the Legion of Honor (Musée de la Légion d'Honneur)
- Orsay Museum (Musée d'Orsay)
- Pont Alexandre III
- Grand Palais
- 8th Arrondissement