Mt. Hood Railroad
The Mt. Hood Railroad is a short line railroad offering a near-perfect dose of nostalgia for visitors that want to slow down, relax, and take in the spectacular Oregon landscape. Though occasionally used for freight, the railroad is primarily a passenger train offering a four-hour excursion through the countryside. All passenger trips are round-trip excursions from Hood River.
You can choose from a variety of experiences on the Mt. Hood Railroad, including dinner and brunch tours, themed events, and even murder mystery excursions. If you're driving to Hood River before your train ride, you can include a detour to Multnomah Falls—located along the way, on I-84—and take in the views from Multnomah Falls Lodge.
Things to Know Before You Go
- You can book the tickets that are best for you, with the option of standard class, first class, diamond class, or the first class wine car.
- For the best views, opt for tickets with access to the Sky Dome car, which offers panoramic vistas.
- Travelers report that the train is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The train runs from Hood River, which is located just about 60 miles (96 kilometers) from Portland. It's most convenient to drive via I-84 East. The ride is just about 1-hour, door-to-door. To avoid the drive, plan to book a tour from Portland and add a Mt. Hood Railroad excursion to your adventure.
When to Get There
Mt. Hood Railroad operates April through October, and the schedule changes seasonally. To enjoy the cherry and fruit trees blossoming plan to book a trip in mid- to late-April. Seasonal fall foliage tours make autumn particularly scenic, or you can celebrate the holidays on the family-friendly Train to Christmas Town.
A Christmas Train Ride That's Perfect for Kids For a holiday outing that's perfect for kids and families, don't miss Mt. Hood Railroad's seasonal event: the Train to Christmas Town. As you depart the station, you can get into the holiday spirit with music, live characters, and of course cookies and hot chocolate. Meet the postman that delivers letters to the North Pole, and wave at Santa in Christmas Town. Just make sure to prebook tickets—this annual event may sell out.
- Things to do in Oregon
- Things to do in Seattle
- Things to do in Vancouver
- Things to do in Vancouver Island
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in San Francisco
- Things to do in Calgary
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Washington
- Things to do in British Columbia
- Things to do in Alberta
- Things to do in Nevada