Fans of historic maritime vessels will enjoy a visit to the Maritime Museum, the highlight of which is theStar of India, and the USS Midway Museum. Seaport Village is a must-visit for shopping, dining, and entertainment. Embarcadero Marina Park, with its public fishing pier and open-air amphitheater, lies to the south.
The Embarcadero is included in most San Diego sightseeing tours—on foot and via Segway. There’s also a popular amphibious water and land “duck” tour to consider. Set aside some time to visit the museums.
Things to Know Before You Go
See the Embarcadero as part of a small-group or private city tour or harbor cruise.
A must-do for families with kids and first-time visitors.
Wear comfortable shoes, especially if you’re visiting the museums.
Bring a hat or sunglasses, as there’s little shade along the waterfront.
Parking is plentiful throughout the area.
How to Get There
The Embarcadero is in Downtown San Diego and is easily accessible via car, bus, and San Diego Trolley. Most visitors arrive as part of a guided tour of San Diego. For easy transportation to and from the museums and attractions, hop on the Waterfront Shuttle, which stops along Harbor Drive and runs seasonally from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
When to Get There
Thanks to Southern California’s amazing year-round weather, any time is a good time to visit. The Embarcadero is busiest in summer; during this time, plan to arrive early in the morning to beat the crowds and avoid traffic. Other times of the year are less crowded.
San Diego’s Seaport Village
South of the Midway, Seaport Village is a waterfront shopping and dining destination with novelty shops, casual eateries, fine dining restaurants, a historic carousel, and outdoor entertainment. With walkways that connect to Downtown San Diego, plenty of parking, and convenient public transport stops, it’s a great place to begin or end your visit.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Little Italy San Diego
- B-Street Pier & Cruise Ship Terminal
- USS Midway Museum
- San Diego Harbor
- New Children's Museum
- Seaport Village
- San Diego Air & Space Museum
- Downtown San Diego
- San Diego Automotive Museum
- Gaslamp Museum at the Davis-Horton House
- Gaslamp Quarter
- San Diego Sports Association
- Balboa Park
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)