Old Globe Theater
The theater, set in lovely Balboa Park, hosts 15 productions each year across three stages, amounting to nearly 600 performances annually. You can purchase tickets online at the Old Globe website or in person at the box office (closed on Mondays). If you’re interested in just admiring the theater from the outside, some Balboa Park walking tours include a stop for photos. For an insider look, 90-minute behind-the-scenes tours are offered on select dates; contact the theater directly for details.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Old Globe is a must for theater buffs.
Bring a jacket or blanket for warmth if you’re attending an evening show at the outdoor theater.
If you are driving to a performance, the theater recommends that you arrive at least one hour before showtime to allow time to park your car.
Wheelchair-accessible seating is available at all three theaters.
How to Get There
The Old Globe Theater is located on Old Globe Way, just north of El Prado in Balboa Park, between the San Diego Museum of Art and San Diego Museum of Man. The main city buses that run through the park are Route 7, Route 120, and Rapid 215.
When to Get There
Most events are held in the evenings. The Shakespeare Festival takes place at the Old Globe’s outdoor stage—Lowell Davies Festival Theatre—every summer. Dr. Seuss’How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is another popular annual event. The box office is open from 12pm until the day’s final performance time, or 6pm on nonperformance days, Tuesday through Sunday.
Spreckels Organ Pavilion
The Old Globe is far from the only place for performing arts in Balboa Park. Another favorite venue is the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, a 5- to 10-minute walk south of the Old Globe. Free organ concerts are held outdoors every Sunday afternoon, as well as Monday evenings in the summer.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- Balboa Park
- San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
- Mingei International Museum
- El Prado
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat)
- Spanish Village Art Center
- San Diego Zoo
- Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Sports Association