How to Spend a Rainy Day in San Francisco
San Francisco is a great city for walking, but when the weather doesn’t cooperate, it’s important to know where to take cover. Don’t let precipitation (most common in winter and spring) dampen your sightseeing. Here's how to make the most of a rainy day during your holiday by the bay.
- Board a bus, minivan, or private vehicle for asightseeingtour of the city and stay dry.
- Discover legendary and contemporary artworks at thede Young Museum, Legion of Honor, or Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA).
- Shop for gourmet goods from Bay Area food purveyors at theFerry Building Marketplace, which boasts four dozen merchants including an independent bookstore.
- Take restless kids to theCalifornia Academy of Sciences(Golden Gate Park),Exploratorium(Pier 15),Aquarium of the Bay(Pier 39), or theWalt Disney Family Museum(Presidio)—and skip the line with a booked ticket.
- Spend the dayshopping at Union Squaredepartment stores and luxury boutiques, and check out premium retailers atWestfield San Francisco Centre.
- Combine an audio tour ofAlcatrazwith anindoor attraction at Fisherman’s Wharf, such as Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, Madame Tussauds, or the San Francisco Dungeon.