Reynolds Square is part of the Historic District and was designed back in 1733 to include four open squares, surrounded by four residential and four civil blocks. This layout of a square and its accompanying blocks is known as a “ward.”
Lucas Theater is one of the square's most important buildings, built in 1921 for Savannah native Colonel Arthur Lucas. The space originally held vaudeville performances and screened silent movies and has today re-emerged as one of Savannah’s most romantic buildings.
The square was also once home to a filature, which housed silkworms, which are believed to have thrived in the area, producing silk and supplanting imports to England from China by way of Italy. This idea didn't pan out, however, as Georgia's humid climate kept the cocoons from maturing properly.The filature was then converted into a meeting space, serving as the city hall until around 1845.
Two historic homes in the area have survived the times: the 1798 Habersham House, today known as the Pink House and serving as a restaurant, and the Oliver Sturgis House, dating back to 1813.In Reynolds Square, look for a bronze statue of John Wesley, who founded the first Sunday school in America while in the region on a mission. The location of the statue is believed to have been where Wesley’s home once stood.
Tours and tickets to Experience Reynolds Square
Should I book Reynolds Square tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Reynolds Square 2021?
What's the best way to experience Reynolds Square?
- Savannah "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil" Narrated Walking Tour
- Savannah Southern Flavors Food, Pub Crawl, and History Combo Walking Tour
- Savannah's Famous Ghost Tour - On-Location Technology (GPS) Guided Experience
- Walking Tour of Savannah's Historic District
Things to do near Savannah
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Florida