As the capital of France’s Alsace region, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and home to the European Parliament, there’s plenty to see and do in Strasbourg. With two days you can cover the city’s historic heart, its top sights, the nearby wine region, and, in December, the Christmas markets. Here’s how.
Fort of Mutzig (Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II)
Rue du Camp, Dinsheim-sur-Bruche, 67190
Also known as Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II, Fort de Mutzig is a fascinating place for those interested in strategic military architecture. Highlights include an underground area, which still boasts many of its original furnishings and equipment, as well as a large collection of armaments. Take a tour to get an in-depth look into the fort's history and construction as well as its significance in many of the wars that shaped modern-day Europe.
Things to Know Before You Go
Fort de Mutzig is popular with those interested in military history.
Wear comfortable shoes; the site requires a lot of walking on uneven surfaces.
Tours are available in French, German and English, if you pre-book.
The fort is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Fort is located in Mutzig, about a 20-minute drive from Strasbourg: Take the A35 to the A352, then departmental road D1420. You can also reach the fort by taking a train from Strasbourg to Mutzig and catching a cab or taking a long (roughy 1.5 hour) walk along a trail that takes you through Mutzig City Hall.
When to Get There
Opening hours and tour times vary throughout the year, so check ahead and make sure to pre-book your tour.
The Forts of Alsace
Alsace and the surrounding area is home to 19 historic forts: three are in Germany, and 16 are in France, on the western shores of the Rhine River. A popular way to visit the forts is by bicycle, and there's a 53-mile (85-km) cycling route, the Piste des Forts, that connects the various sites and also takes you through charming towns and scenic woodlands along the way.
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Vauban Dam (Barrage Vauban)
- Strasbourg Covered Bridges (Ponts Couverts)
- Tanners House (Maison des Tanneurs)
- La Petite France
- St. Thomas Church (Eglise St. Thomas)
- Grande Île
- Kamerzell House (Maison Kammerzell)
- Place Gutenberg
- Alsatian Museum (Musée Alsacien)
- Christmas Market (Christkindelsmärik)
- Strasbourg Cathedral of Notre Dame (Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg)
- Rohan Palace (Palais Rohan)
- Orangerie Park (Parc de l'Orangerie)
- Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg