Powis Castle (Castell Powys)
Sometimes known as the Red Castle or Castell Coch (not to be confused with Castell Coch in Cardiff), Powis Castle—a medieval fortress—will delight history buffs. In the Clive Museum, marvel over the UK’s largest private collection of Indian textiles, handicrafts, and precious metals, before exploring the Italian- and French-influenced gardens, which feature an orangery, lead statues, and rare flora. Meanwhile, children will enjoy playing giant games on the great lawn.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Powis Castle is a great family destination that will especially please history buffs.
- Children enter for a reduced admission fee.
- Dogs must be kept on leashes at Powis Castle.
- There’s an on-site restaurant, coffee shop, gift store, and garden shop.
- Seasonal events and after-hours tours are held regularly at Powis Castle. Check schedules in advance.
- Due to the historical nature of Powis Castle, the castle and gardens are not fully wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Powis Castle is easily accessible via both public and private transport. From Welshpool High Street, Powis Castle is a 1.5km (1 mile) walk. Buses from Oswestry and Shrewsbury both stop on the High Street. Welshpool train station is just over a mile from the castle.
When to Get There
Powis Castle is typically open from mid-morning to late afternoon and last entry is always an hour before closing. To enjoy the best of the Welsh weather, visit during the summer months, although prepare for larger crowds. Powis Castle is sometimes closed for special events so check schedules in advance before planning your trip.
Things to do in Welshpool After a visit to Powis Castle, take some time to explore the historical center of quaint Welshpool and stroll alongside the Montgomery Canal. This mid Wales town is also known for impressive Georgian buildings, including an 18th century cock-fighting ring. Travelers with children can even ride the Light Railway (from April to October) which runs from Raven Square to Llanfair Caereinion.
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Blackpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Sheffield
- Things to do in Coventry
- Things to do in Warwick
- Things to do in Leeds
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Lake District