- Explore scenic Kyoto like a local on this small-group biking tour
- Travel light—bike and helmet are provided
- Maximum of 9 participants ensures a more personalized experience
- Receive illuminating commentary from your guide
Departure & Return
In front of Kyoto Tourist Information Center on 2nd floor of Kyoto Station next to Isetan Department Store. In Japanese: “Kyoto-kan-koo-annai-jo”. Address: 600-8216 2nd Floor Kyoto Station, Karasuma, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto City , Kyoto Prefecture Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///cascade.paving.romance
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your bike excursion in the morning from Kyoto Station, where you’ll meet your guide and proceed to get your bike, helmet and brief safety instructions. Pedal off into the city by heading for the Kamo River, a route that affords excellent views of downtown, along with a collection of traditional restaurants that line the river banks.
Head next to Heian-Jingu Shrine, an important religious center known for its visually-striking red torii (sacred gate), where you’ll also have the chance to admire reconstructions of structures from Kyoto’s old palace complex.
Continue your cycle trip by riding along a network of charming canals, eventually reaching Nanzenji Temple, which embodies many of the typical stylistic details of classic Zen Buddhist religious structure. Take a few moments to explore the site’s collection of eye-catching small temples before proceeding on to the famous Path of Philosophy.
Arrive at the Path of Philosophy, a beautiful thoroughfare lined on both sides by hundreds of cherry trees. This iconic path was named by Japanese philosopher Nishida Kitaro, who used the walkway to practice meditation during his commute to nearby Kyoto University. After visiting the Path of Philosophy, return by bicycle to Kyoto Station where you ride concludes.
Please note that this tour covers about 9 miles (15 kilometers) by bicycle, and can be quite strenuous for travelers who are not used to cycling. This tour is recommended for guests who have at least a medium level of fitness ability.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Please note: Shimogamo Shrine will no longer be visited on this tour.
- Please note that this tour covers about 15 kilometres by bicycle, and can be quite strenuous for travellers who are not used to cycling. We recommend this tour for guests who have at least a medium level of fitness ability.
- Small group tour, maximum group size is 9
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Effective Sept 1, 2021, travellers 18+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Children 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or lateral flow) conducted maximum 72 hours prior, proof of recovery dated up to 9 months or proof of vaccination. View full policy at urbanadventures.com/vaccine.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- OPERATED BY Urban Adventures - Japan
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "The tour does involve some uphill biking so you will definitely feel it in your legs if you are out of practice." See review