2 days (Approx.)
Pickup from select hotels
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Look for orangutans, macaques, carnivorous plants, and more on this overnight hike through Sumatra's Gunung Leuser National Park. Meet your guide in Bukit Lawang the day before your trek to finalize everything, then hike with no more than seven other travelers to your jungle camp beside the river, swim in a waterfall, and raft back to base. Food, water, guide, and gear are included: Park fees are at your expense.
- Overnight orangutan jungle trekking safari from Bukit Lawang
- Good chance of spotting critically endangered Sumatran orangutans
- Home comforts include hot meals and a comfy mattress to sleep on
- River rafting guide plus essential safety gear ensures a safe adventure
Saved to wishlist!
Certified English speaking guide and assistant
Cook, 2x lunch, 1x dinner, 1x breakfast, fruits, snacks, tea, coffee and drinking water
Campsite team, double tent, mattress, sleeping bag, pillows, chairs, water filter
Rafting skipper and tube-rafting equipment (tubes, safety jackets, helmets for children)
Permit to enter the national park/camera tax (150.000 IDR / person / payable before trekking start)
Accommodation in Bukit Lawang (the night before trekking start & after back from jungle trekking)
Transportation from/to Medan (hotel/airport - 4 hours), bookable directly at your accommodation
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
1.There will be a MEETING WITH YOUR GUIDE TEAM giving you an introduction to your trek ONE DAY BEFORE TREKKING START BETWEEN 16 PM TO 19 PM at our EcoTravel Office & Cottages. Please come to our office, here the address: Sumatra EcoTravel Bukit Lawang - Tours & Treks, Jalan Besar Jl. Orangutan, Bukit Lawang, Kec. Bohorok, Kabupaten Langkat, Sumatera Utara 20774, Indonesia.
2. Our team will pick you up the next morning, on the day of your booking, from your chosen accommodation in Bukit Lawang around our EcoTravel Office at 08:00 am.
3. Your trek is a group tour for a maximum of 6 EcoTravel guests and starts from our EcoTravel Cottages/office in Bukit Lawang at 08:30 am.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- There is a MEETING WITH YOUR GUIDE TEAM ONE DAY BEFORE TOUR START at our EcoTravel Tour Office between 16:00 pm – 19:00 pm, where you will be given essential information and an introduction to your jungle trek starting the next morning. Please make sure to be in Bukit Lawang in time! Please just remember that from Medan Airport the transfer to the jungle takes about 4 hrs, so the later you arrive the later you will get to Bukit Lawang. We recommend that you choose your accommodation at our EcoTravel Cottages, at The Hangout@ EcoTravel or at an other accommodation near our EcoTravel Office for this night. Your EcoTravel jungle trek starts from our base in Bukit Lawang at 08:30 am. You will explore the jungle in a small group of up to 6 persons. Your tour is limited in size and number due to environmental issues.
- In Bukit Lawang there are no ATM machines! Please make sure you have enough cash with you! As an exclusive service to our guests we also change Euros and offer credit card payment (Mastercard and Visa / 3% charge) in our EcoTravel office.
- We are happy to provide vegetarian, vegan or non-allergic meals on jungle treks, if required. Please just inform our team a the latest 1 day before trekking start about your preferred diet.
- Not suitable for small children younger than 6 years and travelers with high blood pressure, allergies, pregnancy, operations, fear of special insects, heights or darkness.
- Travel Insurance lies within the responsibility of each traveller and should cover accidents, injury or loss of personal property!
- You need to be fit enough for strong exercise if you plan to do treks over a few days. A health check with your doctor is an absolute necessity before travelling to the Sumatran jungle and lies within the responsibility of each guest!
- What to bring: comfortable hiking shoes or good sports shoes, 25-30 liter backpack, long trousers & T-shirt in bright colors, long socks, one change of clothes, long sleeved sweater, flip flops or sandals, towel, torch, mosquito repellent, sun lotion, swim wear and toilet paper. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
- IMORTANT INFORMATION: At most times you will see orangutans on jungle treks but there is no guarantee! These animals live out in the wild and it’s hard to determine where they will be at any point of the day. But all EcoTravel guides have many years of experience and our team has a very good reputation in Bukit Lawang. We do not hire additional, external guides due safety reasons for our guests. Our handful of well-versed and enthuisiastic EcoTravel guides are locals from this region, speak English, have excellent knowledge of plants and animals - and are all certified by the local ITGA-HPI (Indonesia Tourist Guides Association – Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia).
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY EcoTravel Bukit Lawang
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during ORANGUTAN TREK (2D/1N) by EcoTravel Bukit Lawang ?
A:The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
What is the policy on sanitization during ORANGUTAN TREK (2D/1N) by EcoTravel Bukit Lawang ?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during ORANGUTAN TREK (2D/1N) by EcoTravel Bukit Lawang ?
A:The policies on staff health & safety are:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
Compare Similar Experiences
ORANGUTAN TREK (2D/1N) by EcoTravel Bukit Lawang
2 days 1 hour
Explore Similar Things to Do
HikingNature and WildlifeWalking & Biking ToursOutdoor ActivitiesMedanHiking - SumatraNature and Wildlife - SumatraHiking - PenangNature and Wildlife - PenangHiking - Petaling JayaNature and Wildlife - Petaling JayaCategory